Creamy, fluffy and rich, this melt-in-your-mouth buttery frosting has a slight tang, which makes it not overly sweet.
Cream Cheese Frosting
Yields: 2 cups, enough to frost 24 cupcakes
- 4 ounces (113 grams) cream cheese, slightly softened to room temperature
- ½ cup (113 grams/1 stick) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 2 - 2½ cups (230-300 grams) powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter on medium speed until smooth and creamy, 2-3 minutes. Add sugar in 3 additions (2 cups total), beating well after each addition until smooth. Beat in cream cheese and vanilla until smooth and fluffy. Don’t overbeat or the frosting will become too runny. Add more sugar as necessary until desired consistency (thick enough to pipe). You can add a pinch of salt or lemon juice to cut sweetness.
- Frosting can be kept in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. It doesn’t freeze well. Before using, bring to room temperature and whisk by hand for a few seconds until satiny and smooth.