Easy to make and super delicious jam bars topped with a crunchy coconut almond streusel.
Jam is one of those rare things that are usually too sweet for me, and there are only 2 ways I can bare that sweetness—when it’s paired with butter and bread, or inside baked goods. It is the perfect match for these old-fashioned bars because the not-too-sweet crust and crumbs balance the sweetness of the jam perfectly.
These delicious bars are sweet and crunchy and crumbly and the streusel on top makes it superb. You won’t get enough of them!
The filling consists of only jam, that’s why I use my favorites for these, ones that are delicious when eaten straight with a spoon. You can also use preserves or jelly. I love the flavor of strawberry, but any berry or your favorite fruit would work here.
Instead of making two different doughs, one for the bottom crust and one for the streusel, we make just one and reserve part of it for the topping. Adding coconut or almonds to the streusel is optional but adds lots of flavor and goes perfect with the berry flavor.
- 1 ½ cups (210 g/7.5 oz) all-purpose flour
- ½ cup (100 g/3.5 oz) granulated sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup (1½ sticks/170 g) cold butter, cut into small cubes
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- ¼ cup sliced almonds
- ¼ cup shredded or flaked coconut
- ¾ cup seedless jam
- Preheat oven to 350F/180C. Line a 9×9-inch pan with parchment paper, leaving enough overhang on the sides for lifting the bars out of the pan after baking. Set aside.
- To make the crust: Process flour, granulated sugar, and salt in a food processor for a few seconds until combined. Add butter and vanilla extract and pulse until mixture becomes crumbly and resembles coarse meal. Alternatively, you can crumble all the ingredients together in a bowl using a pastry cutter. Set aside 1¼ cups of the crumb mixture for the topping. Sprinkle remaining crumbs into prepared pan and press firmly into an even layer to form a crust. Bake for about 15 minutes, until the edges are slightly browned. Allow to cool completely on a wire rack before spreading the jam.
- To make the streusel topping: Add brown sugar to the remaining crumb mixture and toss with your fingers to combine until large clumps of dough are formed. Stir in almonds and coconut. Cover and place in the fridge until ready to use.
- Spread jam over crust and sprinkle with streusel topping (if you prefer less crumbs for the topping, you don't have to use all of it). Bake bars for 20-25 minutes, until streusel is golden brown.
- Refrigerate bars for at least 2 hours to let the filling set before cutting into squares.
- Bars will keep for 3 days in the refrigerator.