Addictive sugar candied nuts with a hint of cinnamon that will fill your house with a delightful smell. Makes the perfect gift!
Don’t believe me? Right after I made this batch, a friend of mine came over. I gave her a box of them and asked her to try some. She declined, saying that she doesn’t “really like that stuff”. An hour later, as we’re sitting and talking, I see her hand slowly making its way to the box. She takes one out, eats it, and says nothing. I pretend as thought I didn’t notice. Then she takes another one, once again with no comment. She couldn’t stop sneaking them out of the box, but I can’t blame her – that’s just how addictive these things are.
And the best part of it all? These sugared nuts take only minutes to make. Start with whisking an egg white and water by hand for about two minutes. Mix in nuts and sugar-cinnamon mixture and stir well! We don’t want any nuts that aren’t fully coated with sugar 😉 Spread this goodness in a single layer on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
After 15 minutes in the oven, stir the nut mixture to prevent burning. Once baked, allow them to cool before breaking up any nuts that are stuck together (and there will be plenty :)).
If you’re like me, then any leftover sugar mixture on the baking sheet will find its way into your belly. I hate throwing away food, after all!
You can store the nuts for several weeks, but let’s face it – even if you triple the recipe, there’s no way they’ll be around for nearly that long!
I can’t say I’ll be making these again anytime soon because I simply can’t control myself around them. I thought they would make a great snack for guests, but I finished all of them before I could even invite any over!
- 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 cups whole almonds (or a mix of other nuts such as walnuts or pecans)
- ¾ cup (150 g/5.3 oz) granulated sugar
- 1-2 teaspoons ground cinnamon (depending on how much cinnamon flavor you want)
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 300F/150C degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix together sugar, cinnamon, and salt.
- In a large bowl, hand-whisk egg white and water for about two minutes – until frothy but not stiff. Add nuts and stir. Pour sugar mixture over nut mixture and stir until evenly coated. Spread nuts in a single layer on the baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes, stirring once more after 15 minutes. Once fully cooled, break up any nuts that are stuck together. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to several weeks.