Carrot Cake Cheesecake
This over-the-top special carrot cake cheesecake is so moist it will melt in your mouth!
- 16 oz/450 g cream cheese , softened to room temperature
- 2/3 cup (130 g/4.5 oz) granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoons vanilla extract (optional)
- 1 ¼ cups (175 g/6.2 oz) all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup (200 g/7 oz) granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2/3 cup (160 ml) canola oil (or vegetable, safflower)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 180 g (about 1 and ½ cups) grated carrots (about 2 large or 3 medium carrots)
- ½ cup (50 g) pecans or walnuts, roughly chopped
Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 4 oz/115 g cream cheese , softened to room temperature
- 4 tablespoons (55 g/2 oz) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 3/4 cup (80 g/3 oz) powdered sugar, sifted
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 320F/160C. Grease a 9-inch springform pan.
To make the cheesecake: In a standing mixer fitted with the paddle attachment or in a bowl using a hand mixer, beat cream cheese and sugar on medium-low speed until smooth, about 2 minutes. Beat in flour until combined. Beat in eggs one at a time until completely smooth, then beat in vanilla extract.
Rinse beaters clean for the carrot cake, and if you only have one mixer bowl, transfer cheesecake mixture to another large bowl and rinse the mixer bowl.
To make the carrot cake: In a large bowl sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon. Set aside.
In a mixer bowl fitted with the paddle attachment, beat together eggs and granulated sugar on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. On low speed and with the mixer running, add oil slowly and beat until combined, then add vanilla extract. Beat in carrots, followed by dry ingredients just until combined. Stir in nuts, being careful not to overmix.
To assemble the cake: Pour 1 ½ cups of carrot cake mixture into the pan and smooth it into an even layer. Dollop 1/3 of the cheesecake mixture on top, then drop dollops of the rest of the carrot cake mixture. Finish by pouring on the rest of the cheesecake mixture. The cheesecake should cover the carrot cake entirely. Smooth the top and bake for 55-60 minutes, until cake is set and the center is slightly wobbly. A cake tester inserted all the way down to the bottom of the cake should come out clean. Allow to cool completely on a wire rack, then refrigerate for at least 8 hours. Cake can be frosted either before or after refrigeration.
To make the frosting: In a mixer bowl fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter and cream cheese for 1 minute, then add powdered sugar and beat until completely smooth. Stir in vanilla extract. Frost cheesecake with frosting. Garnish with nuts if you like.
Cake will keep in the fridge, well covered, for up to 5 days.