Coconut Tapioca (vegan)
A light and refreshing dessert that’s perfect with any meal or summer entertainment.
YIELD 6 servings (about 2.5 cups of pudding)
- 1/3 cup (60 g/2 oz) small pearl tapioca
- 2 2/3 cups (640 ml) coconut milk (or substitute some of it with whole milk or coconut cream)
- 1/3 cup (60 g/2 oz) granulated sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Sliced fresh fruit such as mango , melon, pineapple, lychee
- Coconut chips , optional
Place tapioca and coconut milk in a medium saucepan and let soak for 30 minutes.
Add sugar and salt to the tapioca mixture, and heat over medium heat until it reaches a simmer. Reduce heat to low and let simmer very gently for 15 minutes until tapioca pearls are transparent and the mixture has thickened. Be sure to stir frequently so that the tapioca doesn’t stick to the bottom. Once done, remove from heat and stir in vanilla.
Pour into cups and place in the refrigerator until completely chilled, at least 3 hours. The pudding will thicken after refrigeration.
Serve with sliced fresh fruit/fruit puree and coconut chips if desired.
Tapioca is best the same day it’s made, but will keep for up to 3 days in the fridge.