This hearty minestrone soup gets its delicious flavor from a combination of ingredients such as stock, tomatoes, fresh vegetables, beans, and pasta.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion , peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 6 cloves garlic , minced
- 4 medium carrots , peeled and cut into 1/2-inch rounds
- 2 stalks celery , cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 cans (400 g/14 oz each) diced tomatoes, with juices
- 6-8 cups chicken stock
- 4 medium potatoes , peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 can (400 g/15 oz) cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1-2 cups cooked pasta
- Salt and freshly ground pepper , to taste
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese , for serving
Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook until tender and translucent, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add carrots and celery and cook until vegetables begin to soften, about 5 minutes. Stir in oregano.
Add tomatoes, 6 cups chicken stock, and potatoes and bring to a boil over high heat. Lower the heat to medium-low and simmer for 20-30 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir in beans, cooked pasta, and heat through. Season with salt and pepper.
The soup should be quite thick, but if you prefer a thinner soup, add more chicken stock.
Reheat soup before serving. Ladle into bowls and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Serve hot.