Baked Cinnamon Sugar Donuts
Moist and fluffy donuts that are baked in a muffin pan, instead of fried, and topped with a cinnamon-sugar mixture.
YIELD 16 mini donut muffins
For the donuts:
- 1 cup (140 grams or 5 ounces) all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup (65 grams or 2.5 ounces) granulated sugar
- 1 large egg , slightly beaten
- 1/2 cup buttermilk*
- 3 tablespoons (40 grams or 1/3 stick) butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the cinnamon-sugar topping:
- 2-3 tablespoons (30-45 grams) butter, melted
- 1/4 cup (50 grams or 1.7 ounces) granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon (or 1 teaspoon for less cinnamon flavor)
Preheat oven to 350F/180C degrees. Grease 16 mini muffin cups with butter or nonstick spray.
In a large bowl sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Add sugar and mix. Set aside.
In a small bowl whisk together the egg, buttermilk and vanilla extract. Whisk in the melted butter until combined. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and fold with a wooden spoon or a rubber spatula just until combined. Be careful not to overmix the batter.
Divide the mixture between the mini muffin cups 3/4 of the way full (should yield about 16 cups). Fill empty cups half full with water for even baking. Bake for about 10 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center of the donuts comes out clean or with a few moist crumbs. Let donuts cool in the pan for 5 minutes and then move to a wire rack to cool completely.
Meanwhile, make the cinnamon-sugar topping. In a small bowl mix together the sugar and cinnamon. For each donut, dip the top (or the whole thing) in melted butter and then dip into the cinnamon-sugar mixture.
- You can also cover the whole donut with cinnamon-sugar mixture instead of just the top. If you choose this option, I suggest doubling the topping recipe.
- Instead of a mini muffin’s pan, you can use standard-sized muffin pan. This recipe yields about 6 muffins. Bake the muffins for 15-18 minutes.
- Buttermilk substitution: Take a liquid measuring cup and pour 1/2 tablespoon of white vinegar or lemon juice in it. Add milk until it reaches half a cup. Stir and let sit for 5 minutes.
-Donuts are best the same day they are made.
-Donuts can be frozen (with their topping) for up to 2 months.