Roasted sweet potatoes with melty feta cheese is a delicious appetizer no one ever says no to in this house, and if you haven’t tried it before, you are totally missing out! I wanted to turn this appetizer into a satisfying light meal for dinner, so I stuffed it with quinoa, cranberries and feta cheese to make it rich and yummy.
The sweet potatoes should be served warm, but the quinoa and feta mixture can either be at room temperature, or, if you prefer a warm meal, you can place the sweet potatoes with the quinoa mixture in the oven for several minutes until the cheese melts.
- 2 sweet potatoes
- ½ cup uncooked quinoa (or 1 ½ cups pre-cooked quinoa)
- 1 cup water
- 1 garlic clove, grated
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- ¼ cup dried cranberries
- fine salt
- a few dashes black pepper
- 1 to 2 ounces of feta cheese, diced
- Preheat oven to 400°F/200°C
- Cut the sweet potatoes in half lengthwise. Brush the tops and skins with olive oil and place them cut-side down on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Place sweet potatoes in the oven for 40 minutes or until completely tender.
- Meanwhile, cook the quinoa: In a medium saucepan, bring quinoa, water, and ¼ teaspoon salt to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and cook for 15-20 minutes until the water has been absorbed and the quinoa is tender. Allow to cool to room temperature.
- In a medium bowl, combine cooked quinoa, garlic, olive oil, lemon juice, dried cranberries, ½ teaspoon salt, and pepper. Gently add the feta into quinoa mixture.
- When the sweet potatoes are ready and still warm, gently press the center with a spoon to create an indentation. Spoon quinoa mixture evenly over sweet potatoes. Serve while sweet potatoes are still warm.