I don’t know what it is about quinoa that I like so much, but I use it often in my cooking. When I saw this recipe from Green Kitchen Stories, I knew I’d like it, because it combines all my favorite ingredients, plus you get melty cheese in every bite. This is one of those healthy dishes that don’t taste healthy. You can serve it with a salad for a healthy meal, or use as a veggie burger.
- 1 cup (200 g/7 oz) uncooked black, white or red quinoa OR 2 ½ cups pre-cooked quinoa
- ¾ cup (80 g/3 oz) rolled oats
- 4 eggs
- 200 g/7 oz feta cheese
- 4 cups (100 g/3.5 oz) fresh spinach, chopped
- salt and pepper
- coconut oil , butter, olive oil for frying
- Cook the quinoa: In a medium-size saucepan, place 2 cups of water, quinoa and a pinch of salt. Bring to a boil, lower the heat to a bare simmer and gently cook for 15-20 minutes, or until you see small tails on the quinoa seeds. Set aside to cool.
- In a large mixing bowl, place cooked quinoa, oats, eggs, feta cheese, chopped spinach, salt and pepper and mix until combined. Place in the fridge for 30-60 minutes to set.
Take out the mixture and form into patties (mine are about 2.5 inch/6cm in diameter) with your hands. Heat the oil in a frying pan on medium heat. Add the patties and fry for about 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
- Keep in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 4 days.