This easy homemade chocolate frosting recipe is my absolute favorite for layer cakes and cupcakes. It’s creamy, silky smooth, and shiny, with a deep chocolate flavor. It looks amazing, and tastes even better!
This is The Best Chocolate Frosting Recipe
This chocolate fudge frosting is a chocolate lover’s best friend – especially when paired with a deliciously moist cake such as this one. Many of the chocolate buttercream frostings that I’ve tried were too buttery, too sweet, and didn’t have enough chocolatey flavor. This recipe has it all! You can use this delicious homemade chocolate frosting for cupcakes, cakes, and brownies, or just lick it straight from the bowl (like someone I know does).
How to Make Chocolate Frosting
Making this chocolate buttercream frosting is super easy. The recipe uses butter and powdered sugar as the base. Cocoa powder and melted chocolate are added to deepen the chocolate flavor, but they also give the icing structure, so there’s not a lot of sugar in this recipe (most frosting recipes rely on sugar for structure) and the frosting isn’t too sweet. It’s important to sift the powdered sugar and cocoa powder, or the frosting will be grainy.
Start by beating the butter until it’s creamy, then add the sugar in 2 additions, until completely smooth. Take your time with it. Add cocoa powder, and beat the mixture for at least 3 minutes until completely smooth. If the frosting is somewhat grainy, switch to the whisk attachment. Add chocolate and vanilla and mix, then add heavy cream, and beat until well combined. Once you add the heavy cream, the frosting will become super smooth and silky.
Cocoa Powder – Either natural unsweetened or Dutch-processed cocoa powder are ok to use.
Chocolate – use high quality chocolate bars for the best flavor. Either milk, semisweet or bittersweet chocolate can be used.
Heavy cream – you can replace the heavy cream with whole milk, just keep in mind that it will change the taste and texture.
Corn Syrup (optional) – If you happen to have corn syrup, you can substitute some of the powdered sugar with it. This will make an extra smooth and shiny frosting.
You May Also Like:
- Super easy Chocolate Layer Cake
- The Ultimate Chocolate Cupcakes
- Amazing Brownie Muffins (top them with this frosting to make brownie cupcakes!)
- 2½ sticks (300 g) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 2 cups (240 g) powdered sugar, sifted, plus more as needed
- ⅓ cup (30 g/ 1 oz) cocoa powder, sifted
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 170g (6 oz.) dark chocolate (bittersweet or semisweet), melted and slightly cooled
- ¼ cup (60 ml) heavy cream
- Pinch of salt, optional
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter at medium speed until pale and fluffy, 1-2 minutes. Add half of the powdered sugar and beat until well combined, then add the other half and beat until smooth. Add cocoa powder and beat until completely creamy and smooth. Beat in vanilla and melted chocolate until combined. Add heavy cream, a bit at a time, until desired consistency. Add more powdered sugar if necessary, until frosting is spreadable. Add a bit of salt, to taste, to cut sweetness.
- Use immediately or store in the fridge, covered, for up to 3 days. Before using, bring to room temperature and whisk by hand until smooth.