A sweet and salty parfait made with layers of heavenly peanut butter mousse and dark chocolate ganache, and optional layers of peanuts, brownies, and more.
I always preferred mousses and jar desserts a little less than what I consider “real” desserts, such as chocolate lava cake, because understandably, they’re much less comforting. But that changed the moment I took a bite of this incredible sweet and salty peanut butter mousse, which, if I could eat every day for the rest of my life, would make me the happiest girl in the world. Get how good this thing is?
The parfait is made from 2 simple layers; other than the creamy and fluffy peanut butter mousse, there’s a quick-to-make dark chocolate ganache that’s fudgy and very similar to truffles (it may look liquid at first but it will firm up once cooled). Milk chocolate can be substituted for the dark chocolate but the result will be sweeter.
You can add other goodies in between the layers such as peanuts (my favorite), brownies, chocolate cake pieces, etc. Just keep in mind that this dessert is already quite rich.
If you want to top your parfait with whipped cream, here’s what you can do: Instead of whipping up 2/3 cup heavy cream for the mousse, use 1 cup. Then use 2/3 of the whipped cream for the mousse and the rest as a topping.
- 80 g/3 oz (1/2 cup) chopped dark chocolate
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) heavy cream
- 115 g/4 oz full-fat cream cheese , at room temperature
- 1/2 cup (125 g/4.5 oz) creamy peanut butter (not natural)
- ½ cup (60 g/2 oz) powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup (160 ml) heavy cream
- Chopped roasted peanuts
- Brownie squares/pieces
- Chocolate cake
- Chocolate peanut butter cups or another chocolate candy
- Whipped cream
- To make the chocolate ganache: Place chopped chocolate in a medium heat-proof bowl and set aside. In a small saucepan over medium heat, bring cream just to a boil. Immediately pour cream over chocolate and let sit without stirring for 1 minute. Then, whisk mixture gently until completely melted and smooth. Allow to cool slightly before using.
- To make the peanut butter mousse: In a large bowl using a mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat cream cheese, peanut butter, powdered sugar, and vanilla extract on medium-high speed until fluffy and smooth.
- In a medium bowl using an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, whisk heavy cream until it holds its shape (it should have the texture of shaving cream). Using a spatula, gently fold half of the whipped cream into the peanut butter mixture, then fold in the other half.
- Fill each jar with two alternating layers of peanut butter mousse and chocolate ganache. You can use other ingredients such as chocolate candy or whipped cream in between the layers or as toppings.
-Parfaits will keep for 4 days in the fridge.