Airy and fluffy orange cake with a delicate almond flavor that stays moist for days!
I was probably too excited about Passover when I bought 6 pounds of almond flour to make some of my favorite almond-based cakes, because I’m now left with more than half of it. But at least you’re getting something good out of it (this cake!).
This is a simple, old fashioned cake that everyone always loves with a delicate flavor of orange and almonds. Even after 3 days at room temperature (it doesn’t last longer than that around here) it was incredibly moist and with stronger orange flavor than the first day it was made.
If you prefer, instead of baking the cake in a Bundt pan, you can use 2 loaf pans or a 10-inch round pan. Remember that baking times may differ slightly depending on the size of the pan you’re using.
- 1 ½ cups (210 g/7.5 oz) all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1 cup (100 g/3.5 oz) almond flour*
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 4 large eggs
- 1 ¼ cups (250 g/9 oz) granulated sugar
- ¾ cup (180 ml) canola oil (or vegetable, safflower)
- 1 cup (240 ml) freshly squeezed orange juice
- 2 tablespoons orange zest (from 2-3 oranges)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 325F/165C. Grease a 12-cup (10-inch) Bundt pan and set aside.
- In a medium bowl mix together flour, almond flour, and baking powder. Set aside.
- In a mixer bowl fitted with whisk attachment, whisk together eggs and sugar on high speed until pale and fluffy, about 5 minutes. On low speed and with the mixer running, add oil slowly until combined. Add orange juice, zest, and vanilla extract and keep whisking slowly until combined, then turn off mixer. Using a spatula, fold in flour mixture just until combined. Don’t overmix.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Allow cake to cool completely on a wire rack. To remove cake from the pan, let it sit for 15 minutes then run a knife along the edges and carefully invert it onto a plate.
- Store cake in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Cake is best served at room temperature.