If you think these brownies look delicious, just wait until you try them! They consist of three layers of goodness: fudgy brownies, crunchy coconut layer, and a thick layer of smooth chocolate ganache. My family went crazy for them, and luckily I kept a slice for myself (as I always do), because they were gone in minutes.
Although there are three layer, these brownies are simple and quick to make. To keep them fudgy, bake them for only 15-18 minutes, or 20 if it’s still liquid in the center, so they won’t dry out. You know it’s ready when a toothpick inserted into the center of the brownies comes out with moist crumb and not dry.
This delicious recipe comes from my talented friend’s blog oogio.net.
- 200 g/7 oz bittersweet chocolate , coarsely chopped
- 11 tablespoons (150 g/5 oz) unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- ¾ cup (150 g) granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- ½ cup plus 1 tablespoon (80 g) all-purpose flour (read above for gf version)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup (75 g) desiccated coconut
- 3 1/2 tablespoons (50 g/2 oz) unsalted butter, melted
- 2 large egg whites
- 2 tablespoons (25 g) granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons whole milk
- 100 g/3.5 oz bittersweet chocolate , coarsely chopped
- 6 tablespoons (90 ml) heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350F/175C. Line an 8×8-inch baking pan with parchment paper.
To make the brownies: place chocolate and butter in a large heat-proof bowl, and microwave in 30 second-intervals, stirring in between each interval, until melted. Alternatively, set the bowl over a saucepan of simmering water, stirring occasionally, until melted, then remove from heat. Add the sugar and whisk until combined. Add the eggs, one at a time, and whisk just until combined. Add flour and salt and fold, using a rubber spatula, just until combined. Do no overmix. Pour batter into prepared pan, and smooth the top. Bake for 15-18 minutes until the edges are set but center is still soft, and a toothpick inserted into the center of the brownies come out with moist crumbs, and not dry. Let the brownies cool for 10 minuted on a wire rack, before adding the coconut layer.
- Meanwhile, make the coconut layer: mix all the ingredients in a bowl until well combined. Spread evenly into the pan, on top of the brownie layer. Bake for 8-10 minutes until set. It should stay bright in color. Allow to cool completely on a wire rack.
- To make the chocolate ganache: place chocolate and cream in a medium heat-proof bowl, and microwave in 20-30 second-intervals, stirring in between each interval, until melted. Alternatively, set the bowl over a saucepan of simmering water, stirring occasionally, until melted. Pour ganache evenly over the brownies. Place in the fridge for at least 4 hours until completely set, then cut into squares. The brownies keep well for several days in the fridge in an airtight container.