These are my favorite strawberry muffins. They are moist with a hint of citrus and are naturally sweetened by fresh strawberries.
Why You’re Going to Love These Strawberry Muffins
These muffins make a wonderful breakfast treat or snack. They are super moist and flavorful. The strawberries add lots of natural sweetness, so I don’t use a lot of sugar in my recipe. A touch of lemon/orange zest adds a refreshing flavor, but you can leave it out if you prefer. If you want more citrus flavor, replace 1/4 cup of the sour cream/yogurt with 1/4 cup orange juice. To make these muffins healthier, you can use half all-purpose flour and half white whole-wheat flour.
How to Make These Strawberry Muffins
To make the muffins, start by mixing the granulated sugar with the lemon and orange zest. Combining the two first instead of just mixing them with all the other ingredients really brings out the citrus flavor. In a bowl, mix all the dry ingredients, including the sugar mixture. In another bowl mix all the wet ingredients. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix with a wooden spoon or a rubber spatula. Number one rule in muffins making is to not to overmix the batter. The more you mix, the heavier and tougher the muffins will be. The mixture should be quite thick and lumpy. Mix just until all combined, then fold in the strawberries gently.
Add Chocolate Chips If You Like
The first time I made these muffins I made them just the way the recipe below suggests and it was fabulous. The strawberries are the dominant flavor, which is a good thing. The second time I made them, I replaced some of the yogurt/sour cream with orange juice and added 1/3 cup of white chocolate chips. It was worth every calorie. If you like chocolate, add your favorite chocolate chips. Either white or dark chocolate works great here.
More Strawberry Recipes:
- Zest of one lemon or orange , optional
- 3/4 cup (150 g) granulated sugar
- 2 cups (270 g) all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup (180 ml) plain yogurt or sour cream
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) canola oil, or 80g melted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 and 1/4 cups diced fresh strawberries
- Preheat oven to 375F/190C degrees. Grease 12 muffin cups or line them with liner papers.
- In a small bowl mix sugar with the lemon/orange zest.
- In a large bowl sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Stir in the sugar mixture.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the egg with the yogurt/sour cream, oil/butter, and vanilla extract. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and fold with a wooden spoon or a rubber spatula just until combined. Do not overmix. Gently fold in the diced strawberries.
- Divide the batter among the muffin cups. Bake for 15-20 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center of the muffin comes out clean. Allow to cool for 5 minutes in the pan, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Muffins are best the same day they are made, but can be stored in the fridge, in an airtight container, for up to 3 days. They can also be frozen for up to 2 months.