Sweet, tangy, buttery vanilla bean mascarpone frosting is delicious served on top of cakes, banana bread, pound cake, sweet tarts, and more! This recipe is incredibly easy and comes together quickly with only four ingredients.
Ingredients in vanilla bean mascarpone frosting
- Mascarpone cheese
- Raw honey
- Vanilla Bean
- Heavy cream
What Is Mascarpone?
Mascarpone is a creamy Italian cheese that is most commonly known as a main ingredient in Tiramisu. With a sweeter taste than cream cheese, mascarpone is the perfect ingredient for a light and creamy frosting. The frosting tastes almost like a chocolate whipped cream, but more complex in flavor because of the mascarpone. It’s very rich and creamy, which gives this frosting a stable texture strong enough to hold its shape in layer cakes.
How to make the frosting
Combine mascarpone cheese, raw honey, and vanilla bean in a food processor until smooth and well combined, about 30 seconds. Add in the heavy cream and pulse for about 15-20 seconds to combine the liquid into the mixture, then process for about 1-2 minutes until the mixture starts to have a sturdy structure and can hold its shape well. Do not overmix the frosting.
When your chocolate mascarpone icing is ready, immediately start frosting your cake. This recipe makes enough mascarpone frosting for a nice thick layer on a 9×9 round cake. If you want to make a layer cake, multiply the recipe by 1 ½ or even 2 to make sure you have enough for all the layers.
This frosting can’t stay outside for too long, a few hours during a party is fine but any longer and you’ll want to store it in the fridge. It will be fine sitting out at room temperature for a few hours when serving your cake or baked goods.
Try my delicious chocolate mascarpone frosting recipe for chocolate cakes too!
Recipes to try with vanilla bean mascarpone frosting
- Mango Bread: This bread tastes incredible on its own and is super moist. It really feels like a mix between a cake and a bread and has some unique flavors, like cinnamon, honey, lemon zest, and sweet mangos.
- Lemon Mascarpone Cake: Creamy texture and sweet flavor combines perfectly in this slightly tart lemony pound cake.
- Maple Banana Bread: Take your banana bread to new heights with the sweetness of maple syrup. This maple banana bread gives the classic favorite a fall twist with a maple glaze and crunchy nut topping.
- Strawberry Rhubarb Tart: (pictured) A classic tart made with a buttery, flaky crust and creamy, dreamy strawberry rhubarb curd filling.
Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. I endorse products that I love and use daily.
Vanilla Bean Mascarpone Frosting
Sweet, tangy, buttery mascarpone cheese frosting complements sweet breads, cakes, tarts, and pastries.
- 8 oz (226g) mascarpone cheese
- ¼ cup raw honey
- 1 vanilla bean, split in half, scraped
- ½ cup (120 ml) heavy cream
Combine the mascarpone, honey, and vanilla bean to a food processor and process until smooth and well combined, about 30 seconds. Scrape the sides of the food processor.
Add heavy cream to the mixture and pulse for about 15-20 seconds and then process until well combined and cream starts to whip, about 1-2 minutes. You should see a change in consistency from smooth and creamy to a texture that is very sturdy in structure & hold its shape well. Be careful not to overmix the frosting.
Refrigerate in an airtight container until ready to use. Keeps well for up to 2 days. Give it a quick stir before ready to use. This mixture is easy to pipe into a piping bag to decorate cakes or cupcakes.