10 years ago I tried these delicious fritters for the first time, at a cozy restaurant near my house called Orna & Ella. To this day, this is one of their most popular dishes, and the great news is that it’s a simple dish to make at home. I like to serve it as an appetizer with yogurt or sour cream mixed with finely chopped green herbs, chives, or spring onion.
- 500 g peeled sweet potatoes
- 3/4 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1/3 - 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt , or more as needed
- Pinch of freshly ground black pepper
- Place sweet potatoes in a large pan, cover with water, and bring to a boil. Cook until tender, about 20 minutes. Drain. Transfer to a large bowl, and mash the potatoes using a potato masher. Add 1/3 cup of flour and the rest of the ingredients and mix to combine. Season with more salt as needed. If the mixture is very sticky, add more flour. Tip - if you use wet hands when shaping the fritters, they won't stick to your hands.
- In a frying pan, add some butter (or oil) on medium-low heat, just enough to cover the surface.
- Scoop out fritter batter, and, using wet hands, form into a 2-inch/5 cm discs.
- Cook until golden brown, flip, and cook the other side. Serve warm.