Light, moist, delicate and cakey muffins with a subtle orange flavor which complements the dried cranberries.
Today’s muffins are made with oranges and cranberries. That means they’re healthy, right?
Let me tell you a secret. I don’t really care for dried cranberries. But for some reason, I LOVE them when they’re in muffins. And cakes. And sweet rolls. And every sweet goodie.
So basically, eating these muffins makes me feel healthy for some odd reason.
These muffins are delicate, cakey and extra moist! So, if you like your muffins moist, then this is the muffin for you. If you prefer bakery-like, bread-y muffins try my Bakery-Style Muffins Recipe.
The orange flavor is subtle. If you want a stronger orange flavor, add one more tablespoon of orange zest.
I like to use both melted butter and oil in my recipes. Butter for taste and delicate crumb, and oil for fluffiness and moistness. And this muffin is all of those things – fluffy, moist and delicate. The buttermilk adds moistness as well.
Muffins are not only delicious, but also versatile and always so easy to make. All it takes is to mix dry ingredients together, wet ingredients together, combine the two – and you’re done. No mixer involved. No hassle.
Read lots of tips about baking muffin here.
- 1 3/4 cups (250 grams or 8.8 ounces) all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups (250 grams or 8.8 ounces) granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup (57 grams or 2 ounces) butter, melted and cooled
- 1/3 cup canola oil (or vegetable, safflower)
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice (one orange should be enough)
- 1 tablespoon orange zest (1-2 oranges)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon orange extract (optional)
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- Preheat oven to 200C/400F degrees. Butter 12 muffin cups or line them with liner paper.
- In a large bowl sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add sugar and mix. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs with the buttermilk, melted butter, oil, orange juice and zest, vanilla and orange extract. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir with a wooden spoon or a rubber spatula just until combined. Do not over mix. Fold in dried cranberries.
- Divide the mixture evenly between the muffin cups. Bake for 15-20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center of the muffin comes out clean. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool for 8 minutes before removing from pan.
- Muffins are best the same day they are made, but can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 days.
- Muffins can be frozen for up to 2 months.
If you love oranges, try this moist chocolate-orange cake: