A sweet and sour green bubbly potion cocktail that feels straight out of the movie itself! Add a piece of dry ice to this Hocus Pocus Life Potion for the full effect. Careful, this may put a spell on you!
When I think “Halloween” the beloved classic movie of my childhood, Hocus Pocus, comes to mind instantly. In 1993, the Sanderson sisters came back to Salem after 300 years. They brewed the life potion to suck the life force out of children in an effort to live longer. If they get enough children, they could live an immortal life. Joke is on us though, because Winifred, Sarah, and Mary do live on forever. My local Marcus Cinema is still showing this cult-classic film and the witches were also resurrected last year for a sequel.
This (adults only) recipe is super easy and comes together in only a few minutes. So light the black flame candle, grab your sistahhhs, a glass of life potion, and fly over to the couch to watch Hocus Pocus & Hocus Pocus 2!
Ingredients in Life Potion Cocktail
No need to shout “BOOOOOOK!” I’ve got you covered right here. The recipe for life potion in the movie Hocus Pocus says, “Bringeth to a full rousing bubble, then add two drops oil of boil and a dead man’s toe. Next, add a dab of newt saliva, dash of pox. Stir thrice. One final thing and all is done: add a piece of thine own tongue. Administer one drop to victim and stand back. When victim’s life force shows, inhale the glowing aura. When the aura is extinguished, the victim is dead and you shall be young again.”
While shopping for Winifred’s exotic ingredients, I found that my local grocery store didn’t carry them. I’ve taken the liberty of substituting with other, more palatable and accessible ingredients instead. This cocktail is somewhere between a Midori Sour and a Japanese Slipper. Bubbles add to the potion effect of this elixir. Step up your game for guests by including dry ice in the drink and you’ll look like a pro!
Midori: A Japanese melon liqueur with a gorgeous green color. Sweet and delicious on its own!
Orange Liqueur: I prefer Cointreau or Grand Marnier, but Triple Sec will work if you already have that on hand.
Lime Juice: Perfect tart taste to balance out the sweetness in the Midori.
Bubbles: I prefer tonic water to round out this cocktail, but you could use club soda as well. To make this drink more boozy, you could also try Prosecco or Cava.
Ice or Dry Ice: Dry ice may be hard to come by in your area. I live in rural Minnesota and definitely picked up this cocktail ingredient at my local welding supply store (if that tells you anything!) But because I live in Minnesota, they didn’t even charge me- true Minnesota nice!
How to brew life potion
I smell children. Grab your cauldron and wooden spoon!
- Fill your cauldron with Midori, orange liqueur of your choice, lime juice, and tonic water. Stir.
- Add ice or dry ice. Stir.
- Ladle your Hocus Pocus Life Potion into individual bottles for you and your Sistahhhs. Amazon sells super cool glass potion bottles with cork tops so you can prep this ahead of time for a party.
- Enjoy that youthful glow, even if only for a night.
More recipes perfect for Halloween
- Pumpkin Spider Web Blondies: Fudgy, chewy, moist, and perfectly spiced blondies are packed with the flavors of white chocolate, pumpkin, and a little cream cheese. I’ve included instructions for making a spider web design on top.
- Monster Cookies: These are the best soft, chewy and thick monster cookies. Super easy to make and loaded with oatmeal, peanut butter, M&M’s and chocolate chips. This is going to be your new favorite cookie!
- Snickers Brownies: Thick and fudgy brownies with deep chocolate flavor loaded with chewy and melty Snickers pieces. These brownies are the ultimate treat and a guaranteed crowd pleaser. Plus, they are so easy to make!
Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. I endorse products that I love and use daily.
Hocus Pocus Life Potion Cocktail
A sweet and sour green bubbly cocktail that feels straight out of the movie itself! Add a dash of dry ice for the full potion effect. Careful, this may Put A Spell On You.
- 2 oz Midori
- 1 oz Orange liqueur
- 1 oz Lime juice, freshly squeezed
- 2 oz Tonic water (substitute with Club soda, Prosecco, or Cava)
- Ice or Dry Ice
Fill your cauldron with Midori, orange liqueur of your choice, lime juice, and tonic water. Stir.
Add ice or dry ice. Stir.
Ladle your Hocus Pocus Life Potion into individual bottles (or glasses) for you and your Sistahhhs.
Enjoy that youthful glow, even if only for a night.
I’ve made this recipe easy to increase by keeping all measurements in ounces. To batch a large amount for a party, change the number of drinks to 5 for 30 ounces and 10 for 60 ounces.