This easy banana cake is one of my new favorite snack cakes! It’s moist, tender, easy-to-make and is swirled with rich and creamy Nutella for a decadent treat. It requires no mixer and tastes absolutely incredible.
Is there any better ingredient to bake with than Nutella? It’s rich, creamy texture and amazing flavor makes it one of my all-time favorite dessert spreads. From no-bake Nutella cheesecake to hazelnut Nutella sandwich cookies, Nutella is a baker’s dream (or at least my dream)!
This banana Nutella cake is absolutely divine. The banana cake is moist and tender and swirled with gobs of Nutella for a truly delicious cake. It’s easy to make and tastes amazing.
How to make banana Nutella cake
Note: This recipe makes enough batter for an 8×8-inch cake. For a bigger cake, you can double the recipe, including the Nutella, and make a 9×13-inch cake.
- Combine the dry ingredients. In a bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Mash the bananas. Use a fork or potato masher to mash my bananas completely. You could even put them into a food processor to get the puree extra smooth. But don’t worry if there are some lumps – this is the nature of the fruit, but try to get it as smooth as you can.
- Add the rest of the wet ingredients. To the bananas, add the melted butter, sugar, eggs, and vanilla extract. Whisk together to combine.
- Mix everything together. Pour the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and mix together gently, being careful not to overmix the batter (I like to use a rubber spatula to do this).
- Swirl in Nutella. Slightly heat 1/3 cup of Nutella so it’s easier to swirl. Pour the cake batter into a prepared 8×8-inch pan and dollop Nutella on top of the cake. Use a sharp knife or skewer to swirl the Nutella so it has a nice patten.
- Bake. Bake the cake at 350°F/180°C for 35-40 minutes until a toothpick inserted comes out without any wet batter.
- Cool. Allow the cake to cool completely at room temperature, then place in the fridge to chill for 1 hour. Slice and serve.
Tips for making banana Nutella cake
- Don’t over mix the batter after adding the dry ingredients to the wet. Overmixing can make the cake tough and dense. To avoid this, use a rubber spatula to gently mix the dry ingredients into the wet.
- Use very ripe bananas. For the best flavor and texture, use very ripe bananas for this recipe. Similar to banana bread, you want the bananas to mash easily and be very sweet. The more ripe a banana, the more sugar it has.
- For an ultra smooth banana cake, mash the bananas in a food processor to get rid of any lumps.
- Slightly heat the Nutella to swirl more easily. Scoop the Nutella into a microwave-safe bowl and heat for 10- until it is viscous. It shouldn’t get too hot, but just soft enough so it easily swirls into the batter. You can also place the entire jar in a bowl of hot water and mix every few minutes to soften it.
- Serve the cake warm. To make the cake even more delicious, cut a few slices and place in the microwave for 10-15 seconds to warm before serving.
Can I freeze banana Nutella cake?
Yes! Store in a freezer-safe container for up to 2 months. To thaw, place in the refrigerator or on the countertop at room temperature.
How long will the cake stay fresh?
This cake will stay fresh in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Store in a closed container.
More of my favorite recipes with Nutella
- Chocolate Nutella Cake: Dark and chocolatey with Nutella and milk chocolate chunks.
- Nutella Banana Bread: Soft, moist and delicious.
- Nutella Cheesecake Bars: Made with a hazelnut and cookie crumb crust.
- Nutella Brownies: The best brownies you’ll ever eat.
- Nutella-Stuffed Cinnamon Sugar Mini Muffins: Moist and fluffy muffins filled with Nutella and topped with cinnamon sugar.
This incredibly moist, tender banana cake is swirled with rich and creamy Nutella for a decadent, easy-to-make cake.
- 1 1/3 cup (185g) all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 large (265g) very ripe bananas, mashed
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon (130g) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup (200g) granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup (110g) Nutella
Preheat oven to 350°F/180°C. Grease an 8×8-inch pan and line with parchment paper, leaving some overhang so the cake is easily removeable from the pan.
Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Whisk together and set aside.
Place bananas in a large bowl and mash them. Alternatively, you can puree them in a food processor to get the mashed bananas extra smooth. Add the melted butter, sugar, eggs, and vanilla extract. Whisk together until smooth. Pour the dry ingredients into the wet and gently combine using a rubber spatula. Pour batter into prepared pan.
To swirl the Nutella: Scoop Nutella into a microwave-safe bowl and heat for 10-15 seconds until viscous. You can also place the entire jar in a bowl of hot water and mix every few minutes to soften (Note: The Nutella should not be hot, but just soft enough so it swirls easily into the cake batter). Spoon dollops of Nutella on top of the banana cake batter. Using a knife or skewer, gently swirl to get a marble effect.
Bake cake for 35-40 minutes until a skewer inserted into the center comes out without any batter (Tip: Test a part of the cake without Nutella so you can really tell if the skewer is clean or not). Allow to cool completely on a wire rack. Then, place in the fridge to chill for 1 hour.
Store cake at room temperature or in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 4-5 days. Serve at room temperature.
*For a bigger cake, you can double the recipe and make a 9×13-inch cake.