Addictive mini coconut cups filled with chocolate ganache—made with only 6 ingredients!
While Passover is still far ahead of us, my family has already started the dinner preparations. After all, you have to plan ahead when you need to feed 30 people (12 is close enough to 30, right?).
I remember spending hours last year making cakes for Passover Eve. My aunt, on the other hand, brought these chocolate coconut cups that took her 15 minutes to make and they were gone before I even had to chance to put mine on the table. I didn’t blame the guests, though. I was snacking on them myself before dinner even started.
Only 3 ingredients for the bottom
The crust is a simple mixture of coconut, sugar, and egg white—the latter of which is used to bind the whole thing together and keep it from falling apart. Spoon the mixture into mini muffin cups and press it down just as you would a tart crust. After baking and cooling down, the cups should release from the pan rather easily without crumbling, so don’t be nervous.
Only 3 ingredients for the filling
Make that 2 if you want to skip the maple syrup/honey. If you do, add an additional tablespoon of heavy cream.
Serve at room temperature to make sure the chocolate filling is soft and creamy, not hard.
- 1 large egg white
- 2-3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 cup (80 g) unsweetened desiccated coconut
- 170 g/7 oz dark chocolate
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup or honey
- ⅓ cup (80 ml) heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 100C/210F. Grease a mini muffin pan (about 15 tins/cups) well and set aside.
- To make the coconut bottom: In a medium bowl, mix egg whites, sugar, and coconut until well combined and moistened. Place about 1.5 tablespoons of the mixture into each mini muffin cup and press the bottom and sides using your fingers. Bake for 30 minutes until set. Let stand for 15 minutes on a wire rack, then release each cup gently from the pan (I use a knife to make this easier). They should come out rather easily and shouldn’t stick to the pan. If one falls apart, leave them in the pan a little longer to set more.
- To make the chocolate filling: Place chocolate, honey, and cream in a medium heat-proof bowl and set over a pot of simmering water at medium heat (the water should not touch the bowl). Stir occasionally until melted. Alternatively, you can melt the mixture in the microwave in 20 second-intervals, stirring between each interval, until melted and smooth.
- Divide chocolate mixture between coconut cups. Place in the fridge for 1 hour to set. Before serving, bring to room temperature so that the chocolate filling is soft.
- Store cups in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.