Marshmallows, nuts, and cookies are folded into a mixture of melted chocolate and butter to make this classic rocky road candy bar extra delicious. It only takes 5 minutes to make, and you won’t get enough of this fudgy, chewy, and crunchy texture!
What Is Rocky Road?
Rocky road is a type of candy bar, that is made of melted chocolate that is mixed with some goodies like marshmallow and nuts. Classic rocky road is often made with turkish delight, but I left it out because it’s not an ingredient accessible for everyone, and you don’t have to use it to make this rocky road the most delicious thing on the planet.
If you’ve never tried rocky road, then you are missing out on something really good! These candy bars sound like a simple treat, but unless you try it, you won’t get just how heavenly the combination of chocolate and marshmallows is.
Rocky Road Ingredients
Some recipes use only melted chocolate as the base of this candy, but I use a combination of melted butter and chocolate, to make it more chewy and velvety. If you prefer to leave out the cookies and use only marshmallow and nuts, then add a bit more of each, about 1/4 cup. You can also play with the ingredients and add whatever you like to this. The options are endless. Marshmallows are a must if you ask me, because they make the chewiest texture, but you can use your favorite dried fruit or nuts. Around the holidays I like the combination of marshmallows, cranberries and sugar cookies.
How to Make Rocky Road
It doesn’t get any easier than that. Melt butter and chocolate, and mix in all your add-ins. The hardest part is to wait until it’s set before digging in. It’s extremely addictive, you’re warned!
- 8 oz/230 g (1 and 1/3 cups) chopped bittersweet or semi-sweet chocolate
- ½ cup (1 stick/115 g) unsalted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 and ½ cups miniature marshmallows (if you only have large marshmallows, cut them into small pieces)
- ¾ cup (75 g) hazelnuts (or use your favorite - salted peanuts, walnuts, almonds, pecans)
- ¾ cup (75 g) digestive biscuits or cookies (any kind)
- Line an 8x8-inch baking pan with foil or parchment paper. Set aside.
In a medium heatproof bowl, combine chocolate and butter. Heat in the microwave for 30 seconds. Heat more, at 20-second intervals, stirring in between each interval, until melted. Stir in vanilla extract. Fold in marshmallows, nuts, and cookies.
- Spread mixture into prepared pan. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours, or until set. Lift from pan using the foil or parchment paper, and cut into squares. Keep in the fridge. I like to take it out of the fridge 15 minutes before serving.