Marshmallows, nuts, and cookies are folded into a mixture of melted chocolate and butter to make these classic rocky road candy bars extra delicious. They only take 5 minutes to make, and you won’t get enough of the fudgy, chewy, and crunchy texture!
What Is rocky road?
Rocky road is a no-bake candy bar made with melted chocolate, marshmallows and nuts. Some recipes calls for other add-ins, but I absolutely love the combo of soft marshmallows and crunchy, toasty nuts. My recipe also includes small pieces of crushed vanilla biscuit cookies.
What is rocky road made of?
Some recipes use only melted chocolate as the base of this candy, but I use a combination of melted butter and chocolate to make it more chewy and velvety. If you prefer to leave out the cookies and use only marshmallow and nuts, then add a bit more of each, about 1/4 cup.
You can also play with the ingredients and add whatever you like. The options are endless. Marshmallows are a must if you ask me, because they make the chewiest texture, but you can use your favorite dried fruit or nuts.
Tip: Around the holidays, I like to make rocky road with a combination of marshmallows, cranberries, and sugar cookie crumbs.
How to make rocky road
- Line an 8×8-inch baking pan with foil or parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a medium heatproof bowl, combine chocolate and butter. Heat in the microwave in 30-second intervals, stirring in between each interval, until melted. Stir in the vanilla extract.
- Fold in mini marshmallows, chopped nuts, and crushed cookies.
- Spread mixture into prepared pan and refrigerate for at least 2 hours, or until set. Lift out of the pan using the foil or parchment paper and cut into squares. Keep in the fridge.
Serving tip: I like to take the rocky road out of the fridge 15 minutes before serving.
More of my favorite no-bake candy recipes
- Nutella Fudge: Made with rich creamy Nutella and hazelnuts.
- White Chocolate Coconut Truffles: Made with only 3 ingredients.
- Caramel Fudge: Seriously addictive, gooey fudge.
- Chocolate Salami: Chocolatey, crunchy, and easy to make.
- Peanut Butter Energy Bites: Made with creamy peanut butter, dates, and peanuts.
This super easy to make candy bar is made with dark chocolate, soft marshmallows, and crunchy nuts and crushed cookies. It's addicting and tastes amazing!
- 1 1/3 cup (8 oz/230g) chopped bittersweet or semi-sweet chocolate
- 1/2 cup (1 stick/115g) unsalted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups miniature marshmallows (if you only have large marshmallows, cut them into small pieces)
- 3/4 cup (75g) hazelnuts (or use your favorite nut – salted peanuts, walnuts, almonds, pecans)
- 3/4 cup (75g) digestive biscuits broken into very small pieces (or any kind of cookie you like)*
Line an 8×8-inch baking pan with foil or parchment paper. Set aside.
In a medium heatproof bowl, combine chocolate and butter. Heat in the microwave for 30 seconds. Heat more, at 20-second intervals, stirring in between each interval, until melted. Stir in vanilla extract. Fold in marshmallows, nuts, and cookies.
Spread mixture into prepared pan. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours, or until set. Lift from pan using the foil or parchment paper, and cut into squares. Keep in the fridge. I like to take it out of the fridge 15 minutes before serving.
*If you prefer to leave out the cookies and use only marshmallow and nuts, then add an additional 1/4 cup of each.
GalinaMay 6, 2018 at 4:15 am
Since I tried this recipe for the first time I stopped buying these cookies, the home made version is sooooo much better! Thank you:)
CarolJuly 26, 2020 at 3:24 pm
Looks great. Haven’t tried to make them yet. Do you toast the nuts?
ShiranJuly 27, 2020 at 4:26 am
I almost always use toasted nuts for more flavor, but it’s optional 🙂